Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HAP: basement wall input

Status
Not open for further replies.

wufi2004

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2004
CA
How to define basement walls in HAP(Hourly Analysis Program)?

I know how to input data for space above ground, but how to do it for basement walls?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basement walls are defined just like a wall next to an un-heated space. Define the thermal properties and the temperature differential. Since most ground temperatures are around 50 F. use this as the temp for the un-heated space.

Thank you!

But i will use winter heating in the basement. Then how to do it?

Can i define basement floor ? I found this. But i need to know which slab is slab-on-grade, which slab is slab-below-grade. How to differentiate them?

To define the basement walls you have to use slab below grade. When you do that more options will be shown for both floor and wall r-values. The basement wall construction is not as detailed as the typical wall construction that you would input into the library section in the program.

My basement wall is like this:

_______________________________________ Ground Level
| Basement 1 |
|________________| <---- What is this slab floor called?
| Basement 2 |
|________________| <---- This is slab-on-grade or -below-?
+ +

Besides, I'm trying to find the Carrier Handbook. Thanks!

Please give me more hint.

Using HAP i would deal with your scenario in the following manner.

Basement 1 - shares a common floor / ceiling with Basement 2 and common floor / ceiling with Ground level.

I would treat Basement 1 floor and ceilings as partions, in fact i would treat all walls this way too, just choosing for floor tab (above conditioned space).

Basement 2 - shares a common floor / ceilgin with Basement 1 but has a slab below grade.

I would treat all the walls and the ceiling to basement 2 as partitions and enter the slab below grade details for this level into the floor tab.

One way of dealing with your dilemma..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back