Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

hard time understanding management 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffcivil2

Civil/Environmental
Feb 18, 2008
US
I'm a civil engineer with about 4.5 years experience having a hard time at work that's causing emotional stress and need to seek some advice.

I work in a small civil engineering/landscape architecture firm. The two owners of the company are both seniors and do most of the work. They don't trust anyone else and are very age discriminatory. The problem that I am having is that my work ethic is constantly being question by them in the form of rude remarks. I am upset with this because I don't have a lot of work because they don't ever delegate work for me to do. They have a crappy way of management where they walk around and say "what are you working on?" I find this to be very arrogant such that I want to blurt out "you tell me, you're supposed to be my manager". I've had this problem with another engineering firm I worked for. There is a complete lack of management.

I'm so upset I'm thinking of changing careers and I'm thinking that NO WONDER engineers are the lowest on the totum pole as far as pay scale profession-wide. In my opinion they shouldn't have to ask me if i'm busy or when I'll be done. If they really were half-decent managers they would pile stuff on me instead. I asked my boss once why he didn't just pile stuff on my desk and his response was: "because we're trying to gauge your progress".

I've gotten to the point where I really don't care about this job or this profession.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jut If you can't productively fill your time then you obviously need to ask for more work. If they can't come up with anything then try and suggest something. Maybe they don't want to spend money on lab tests or whatever but if it's just a 'you at your desk on the PC' task maybe they'll be more willing.

I think a separate thread is called for if you want specific input.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

csd72,

I agree. But my desk is squeaky clean and I have written more MathCAD and spreadsheet programs than I can remember. Especially for calculations I may only need to run a few times and a bunch for one-time calcs. I try to not catch myself browsing the web whenever possible. But as you can see here, it still happens.

Thanks for all your help. While you may be right on maturity, that's not really something I'm going to sulk over. I will certainly work on keeping busy, but it won't be out of fear, but for appreciation for them not firing me already;)

cheers.

A discussion forum for civil engineers

I guess next time I'll start a new thread. Sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.

I kinda feel better reading this thread so far and thanks for your input. I just have a little more to add.

Shortly after I started a manager (of products, not people) resigned. My supervisor knew I was underqualified but offered the position to me anyways. I respectfully declined, but filled the role on an interim basis anyways. When filling in handling problems and day-to-day activities, I found a number of problems with how information and procedures were handled. When the replacement was hired, I asked, actually nearly pleaded to stay in that group and work side by side with the new manager. I expressed that over the next few weeks I could clean up quite a few problems in that business group and help the new manager transition. I was quickly and somewhat abrasively told no and that I needed to start training on my new products immediately. However, the training materials have never arrived and hands-on "playing" with the products never happened. Nor will it. That was 5 months ago.

Now I'm kind of stuck in limbo. I "co-manage" (if thats a word) a series of products with a few other managers. However, all the inquiries go to them and even after asking if they need help I still get no work. I guess I'm just ranting at this point, but it makes me feel better :).

If my review didnt go so well I'd be worrying about keeping my job. But now my concern is just advancing my career. Here or somewhere else? FWIW this place has a weak tuition reimbursement policy and I've gathered that they do not reward nor help PEs (with PDHs). Thanks for reading and I appreciate the feedback.

I have to say I'm in the dark here, I can't remember ever having been short of work, always too much and long hours getting it done.
It doesn't change when you go self-employed, it just gets worse.

Hence, my suggestions are things I try if i was in that situation and that includes:
How much time do you put in trying to learn from the more experienced engineers?
Have you identified any supplementary training that you could do that would be relevant to the projects you don't get?

I'm pretty sure there should be lots of constructive ways to fill time, I can't imagine Parkinson's law has been repealed...(Work expands to fill the time available).

I guess the question here is really:
"How many more experienced engineers have this problem?
Did they have this problem when they first started out?
What changed?"

JMW

Re Bill's #3, at age 28 I was running small independent programs from go to woe including budgeting, testing, modelling, fabrication, meetings with customers, reports and so on for a car company. I don't think that is atypical for the automotive industry.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Same for defence Greg (at least in UK) I was responsible for multi million (just) $ project with sub-contractors etc in my mid 20's.

Of course both of these are probably "exempt" industry which I suppose may make a difference, also mine was a relatively small company.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Alignment of ones personal or career goals with that of management is difficult to achieve let alone maintain. If you find you goals no longer a sufficient match with the management and things are not likely to change then it is time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back