Hardness Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanisnaily

Jan 31, 2014
MY
Hello All,

i'm quite new in welding issue.
Currently i'm trying to do hardness test without destructing the parts. Hardness at 3 zones need to be verified ( weld zone, HAZ and base material)

Can you suggest the best way and what machine shall i use to check the hardness?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure you develop a hardness testing procedure and qualify it to show that the individual(s) performing the hardness test are knowledgeable by qualification.

Your first post refers to welded parts. What size and shape are they? What equipment do you have and is it portable or fixed?

The advantages of the 2 systems I mentioned are they are both portable and both widely recognized hardness test equipment.

I concur with metengr, you need qualified procedures and personnel..

Size variant from 3cm to 11cm in contourly shape( its a compressor blade) . Currently we have fixed machine; Rockwell and Vickers in our facilities.

Please take the sage advice of metengr and have the parts tested professionally by a nationally-approved test house which has the right personnel, equipment and approvals.

Both Rockwell and Vickeers will leave macro surface indentations. Equotip (or some similar comparable equipment) should suit.

Have you no traveler or quality documents which control which method should be used?

Yes..all our personnel are well trained.
Since I'm in middle of doing feasible study on hardness test,I prefer to go details.
Document did give some recommendation on what to use however I want to know details.and which are the best method.

Thanks for all suggestions☺

Ball rebound Equotip often has a bad reputation which is unfortunate as if used properly works well. Decent surface finish is vitally important and works better with greater wall thicknesses. King Brinnel is excellent but obviously destructive. Rockwell is similarly destructive (although leaves a much smaller indent) however, not very practical if part in situ (portable Rockwell not advisable). Vickers again not very practical - ideally you'd require a macro machined from the part you were testing prepared using a suitable etchant e.g 20% Nital.

All require a decent surface finish anyway for example polished the surface with a portable grinder/flapper - I'd recommend King Brinell. Also depends what it is your testing?

I would suggest file hardness tester which is not 100% accurate but its field test to conclude 95%. This is non-destructive test and no special preparation is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back