Hardness testers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elastomatt

Industrial
Jan 6, 2010
GB
Hi,

I run a QA lab and we have an old Wallace Microhardness (IRHD) tester. It is hand operated and at least 20years old. I would like to replace it and wondered if anyone can suggest the best (or most commonly used) meter.

Are there any disadvantages/limitations with newer machines

Thanks

Elastomatt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not contact the manufacturer of your old tester and get it recalibrated - - or obtain a few specimen pieces of known hardness and recalibrate it yourself ( We did on our 25 yr old testers which was in a box complete with an allen key to help do the job.)
Cheers
Corrosionman.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. we do use Shore A meters as well, some are handheld and I don't like them as the results seem variable (control of force).
Most of our customers now have more modern equipment and there have been some differences between our test results recently. I have had our machine checked out (by our materials lab manager) using the calibration pieces it was OK.
I will give Wallace a call and see what they have to offer, they do our annual calibration already.

Elastomatt

You need a bench-mounted deadload hardness tester for the most accurate results. Handhelds are notoriously inaccurate. Microhardness testers are only useful for test pieces that are thinner than a specified 6mm (1/4") hardness button.

Thanks Graham, I will look into that. Most of our samples are below 6mm (2.0 ± 0.1mmm), they are prepared from the producr using a splitting machine.
However we do check directly on product which have varying profiles, what is the maximum size dead load bench-mounted testers can take? And is there anything to be aware of (i.e. curved surfaces against flat)?

Thanks

Elastomatt

Maximum size of sample depends on the length of the rod that supports the hardness tester but I would say somewhere in the region of a 30-40mm sided cube. Don't measure the hardness on a convex surface, as the sample will bend under the load causing a lower hardness reading. If you have to measure on a curved surface make sure it's concave.

You can always ply up 3 or 4 piecces of your sheet/part/whatever and use this for testing the hardness (but the result won't be quite as accurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back