Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hardware choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

swertel

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2000
US
This topic is discusses at length in many other CAD forums repeatedly, but I think Alibre deserves some discussion because it uses Direct 3D rather than OpenGL for its graphics engine.

I like that idea because it allows for the collaboration. I have found that most CAD systems that allow for collaboration (UG by experience) could not utilize graphics card acceleration during online broadcasts. Therefore, the performance was really slow as the computer had to drive the graphics as well as communicate.

The other nice thing about using Direct 3D is that it allows the workstation to be equipped with a consumer grade graphics card. Alibre recommends GeForce cards. Although this saves a chunk of change than their CAD equivalent, the Quadro card, how does it perfrom for the Pro version of Alibre when you run Algor, which is OpenGL.

Do Alibre users save money and go with a GeForce card knowing that performance may stink when viewing results of FEA? Or do you pay for the full up CAD card and waste the horsepower when working with Alibre?

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, the Round Table recommends FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good compromise is to go for Wildcat 970VP, it is both an OpenGL and a Direct3D graphics card and from what I have heard about it, its certainly worth the money if you can get one! (nearly always sold out)

As an ancient ME of 23 plus years I have seen many CAD application come and go. Currently I am using Alibre Design in conjunction with Algor FEA Professional LM and NLM. I am most pleased with the user interface of both products.
Algors LM typical processer time for fairly complex geometries, multiple loads, boundry conditions, Surface, gravitational, centrifugal as well as surface pressures and face forces all combined is quite fast, I have never exceded 5-7 minutes for a fine mesh on a complex vacuum chamber lets say with multiple ports, dual wall, cooling and baseplate. I am using these applications on a Dell Inspirion 5100 Lap Top with 500 Meg Ram, 2.8 Ghz processor and 64 Meg Video ram. The graphics respond lightning fast. This is great to bring to my customers and demonstrate or perform work on site concurrently. They seem quite happy. Plus I simultaneously running UC Berkeley S.E.T.I. FFT analysis on data packets they send in the background 24/7 to help the search effort. FYI: check it out, help find green Engineers.

RobMech1:

As long time Autocadder, I am finally biting the bullet on 3d modellers, specifically SW. Alibre is a discovery I made accidentally just yesterday. This makes me wonder - just how many more 3d modellers are there out there, so to speak.

Could I ask you to list the more popular ones (mid range only) that are actively being promoted, sold, improved currently!

Thanks

CATIA
UG (NX)
Solid Edge
Solidworks
Inventor
Pro/E
Pro/E Wildfire
Alibre Design
TurboCAD
T-Flex
IronCad

and of course a few more.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Hi Scott:

Do you feel that Alibre has any chance at all of establishiong itself to the level of SWX or SolidEdge (however, this may not be Alibre's goal - ) -- or is Alibre an oddball product that won't exist in x years.

In my area (Ontario, Canada), SW is extremely active - a number of businesses have a large number of seats (one I have heard of has 270 + seats), and there are many single seater small businesses apparently.

thanks
Kurt

Alibre has every intention sticking around for the long haul and will redefine the CAD market in the upcoming years.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back