Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Trends Laptop vs Desktop and the whole dongle thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudson888

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2007
AU
This one is mainly for John, all comers welcome of course, but in part my attempt to excise and examine a side issue coming out of the big long "Items UG needs to fix!!" thread.

It was in response to a question about platforms that John responded that the new MacBook Pro is a great machine. I can't disagree with that especially after comparing the specs in detail with other available systems, but I was surprised to see that the conversation turned to laptops with no real mention of Desktops, and it piqued my curiosity.

Speaking as one who would welcome the demise of the desktop in favor of its portable cousin I would be pleased to see an end to what I view as largely a marketing exercise whereby the latest and greatest desktop has always arrived on the market a year sooner and better performed than the current laptop at twice the price. Since software development generally follows the introduction of new hardware the desktops always seemed to lead the way. So to hear a laptop rated so highly would in the past have seemed wrong. Unless that is that the gap is closing. The specs on some of these machines show that this may well be the case, but I'm still not sure.

Do you think that the current crop of laptops are well enough performed to genuinely replace a desktop machine in terms of being capable NX workstations?

Do you think this will persist and signals a new trend away from desktop machines?
Which is to say I'd welcome it but I'm still somewhat skeptical!

What about other well performed Laptops, how do the Dells and maybe HP laptops compare, or is the MacBook Pro a one of standout machine?
Because it has to be said that they ain't cheap.

Lastly and importantly for me at least. With the upcoming mooted demise of the dongle it seems that in some ways using a laptop may the the only practical way to maintain portability of a License. So I have to ask what advice PLMS have to offer on the subject?

Which is to say I find it easy to obtain advice from official sources about what I can't do, but this comes without any address to our needs to protect our investment and go about doing business the way we are currently able to do. We maintained a few licenses to work off site using dongles and have readily moved from one workstation to the next, sometimes on a daytime/evening work basis. Now it seems it may be difficult to do that, unless we replace workstations with laptops.

Best Regards

Hudson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm disappointed not too have seen any replies. Currently I'm coveting either the MacBook Pro, or the HP Desktop/Laptop with 20" screen....

Hi Hudson,

I have been using NX on a Dell Precision M60 laptop for the last 3 years. It's due an upgrade now (probably to a Dell Precision M4300) but I have found it to be an extremely capable machine for my work. Granted, as an industrial designer, I usually only design products with tens rather than hundereds or thousands of components but it has been absolutely fine performance-wise. I have also used NX on mid-range desktop workstations and have seen no significant difference in performance. I can still see the need for desktop machines where large amounts of RAM or large screens are necessary. But where portability is important, I would say a laptop easily provides enough power for most users.

I also am concerned at the proposed discontinuation of dongles. My company has been using them very happily for several years and we really feel it is the only truly flexible option for license portability. We wouldn't want to lock licenses to individual laptops so our only options are VPN access to a license server or license borrowing. VPN access is generally OK but it does require a continous internet connection to work which is not always available at off-site locations. It can also be a bit unreliable at times. Our experience with FlexLM license borrowing with PTC products has been problematic to say the least so unless SiemensPLM provide a better implementation of that functionality then I think VPN is our only option. This would be a reduction of functionality from our current setup and I am disappointed that Siemens do not seem to be addressing this issue beyond saying that dongles will be discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back