Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Has anybody got impression that LAYER function is totally messed up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack3108

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2004
CA
Anybody ??

In the past two years I moved from NT4.0 SP6.0 to XP SP2, new video card with much more memory, from SW2001 --> 2003 -->2004 ---> 2005 SP 0.1

And LAYERS (on the drawing) was always a problem - it does not work about 60% of the time as it should (wrong display of colors, line types/thicknesses, often refuses to move to specified layer (Component Line Font), etc.)

Am I really doing something wrong ? What's others opinion ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use drawings with about 8 different layers. We use the layers mainly for hatching, notes and dims. All the layers have different colors and line wieghts. They seem to work fine for us. We have been doing it this way since early 2004 and it's been going smootly.

The problem I have is with layer we name OBJECT and another one called PHANTOM.

We put "solid objects" on those layers. Those layers (like all others) have different colors.

This is when we have 98% of problems

Dimensions, notes - never a problem.

Sometime problem with layer CENTER, where we put center lines, created with icon that looks like a "cap screw". But again, this is created by touching "extremities" of the solid body.

Just a curiosity, why do you need layers for your drawings? SolidWorks has layer functions not because it really wants them but because of lagecy data from AutoCAD. If you create new drawing documents from ground up, you do not and should not use layers. We had not problems using layers (SW 2004 sp4.0). But We decided not to use layers in drawings documents.

Alex

I use layers for text and have no problem, but what I don't like is that you can not move the layers on the list. Once you add a layer to the list, it stays in that order unless you delete it. I would like to be able to rearrange layers when I add new ones.

I use layers for my revision block. I have extra rev lines on layers that we have turned off. When the rev line is needed we turn the layer on. I have this all tied to a VB box where we fill in our revision text and turn layers on with check boxes.

It appears to me that you do not use "Revision Table". Although you can place a revison table on any layer, a better practice is create a revison table on drawing sheet. Please be aware that SW revision table is an automated process.

You may want to take another look at this. Layer is OK, but not necessary.

Alex

I would not say "don't use layers" in SW. The functionality is there and should be usable. All the reasons you used layers in AutoCAD are the same reasons to use them in SW. I don't make use of a lot of layers but he ones I have are very handy. The biggest advantage for layering for me comes with the ability to quickly control color, line wieght and visability.

I really thinking your making an incorrect statement rgrayclamps.

Jack3108:

Revision table in SW is a wonderful thing. Give it a try, I bet you will love it.

Rockguy:

If you follow ANSI or other standards, you can control all those things (color, line weight and visability) without using layers at all. Most peoples use them because they have not forgot AutoCAD yet.

Alex

My VAR is checking now on a possible issue with assembly drawing views of multiple configurations and layers. Views of the other configurations do not display the layer colors as assigned in the Component Line Font dialog.
Also, if you use component line font with colored layers in 2005, your plots will take much longer. (due to be fixed sp1?)
Using component line font and colored layers is 1 way to get a per part layered DWG from your SldDrw without mapping tables or macros.
Putting the offending views on another sheet or toggling the [x] Use document defaults (setting in the Component Line Font dialog) can get around the issue.

DesignSmith

DesignSmith:
... Views of the other configurations do not display the layer colors as assigned in the Component Line Font dialog. ...

Exactomundo ... and much more is not right ... You do not even need configurations, to have things messed up.

What really ..... me off is the fact that those problems seem to be "random". You can have one assy dwg O.K. and next dwg, of similar complexity - messed up

jack3108,

Your last statement brings to mind a similar situation that drove us nuts. It turned out that we had drawings (and for that matter part and assembly files) created on different machines. We found that our problem was the default templates for these files were different from machine to machine. We eventually got everyone to agree on the settings for these default files and then we pointed everyone's machines to a location on the network where we were all using the same templates. You might look into this.

- - -Dennyd

Dennyd:
... we had drawings (and for that matter part and assembly files) created on different machines. We found that our problem was the default templates for these files were different from machine to machine. ...

Thanks, will investigate.

In the mean time - just 5 minutes ago I added another projected view to 2 already existing views on the dwg.

The previous 2 views had the (simple) assy "objects" (parts) on layer called OBJECT (layer color=green, diplayed color=green, O.K.).

The just added projected view "apparently" is on layer OBJECT (if checked with Component Line Font)

BUT:

the displayed color=black (like layer None, NOT O.K.)

All parts, assy, dwg were made by myself, within one day, on the same machine, the same OS, SW etc., etc. I can not force it (with Component Line Font) to have it displayed green

And when I turn OFF the layer
OBJECT , the 2 original views are OFF but the new view is ON, thou as I mentionned earlier, Component Line Font says it's on OBJECT thus should go OFF (thou is displayed as black, which would suggest that is on layer None thus visible).

Any clues what I am doing wrong ??

Now, you are not going to believe this thinking that I must be smoking something ...

For the past half an hour or so, I worked on some other dgws/parts (full screen), but that "wacky" dwg I was refering to earlier, was open, thou not on the screen ...

I just clicked Windows (in SW session) and selected that "wacky" dwg - et voila - this projected view is now displayed in GREEN (proper color of layer OBJECT) and if I turn OFF the layer OBJECT then that view disappears too.

What the hell is going on ?? Before that neither REFRESH icon, nor CTRL-Q were of any help.

I must add that I observed this kind of strange behaviour on some other dwgs in the past.

Totaly baffled ....

What video card & driver are you using?
Are they both certified by SW for SW05 for use on XP/SP2?

I have nVidia Quadro FX500

Until about an hour ago the driver was 6.14.10.5303

The IT guy just installed 6.14.10.6573

One more thing - whe I add a part to an assy and than go to the dwg, the added part is diplayed BLACK in all views and is on layer NONE (I guess by default).

Now when (on the dwg) I go to a view and use Component Line Font and try to change the LAYER, LINE, THICKNES (of that new added part) it sometime changes, but sometime not.

This can be split further - when it changes it sometime changes in ALL views (selected ALL), but sometime it changes in one view only.

It tried to do this changes by selecting part either in dwg Management tree or in the graphics area. No difference.

I even suspected, that maybe the "settings" in that Component Line Font window are reversed (that is Selected View means ALL and ALL means Selected View). No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back