Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has Anybody Used This Supafix Stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x111tom

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2015
GB
Hi Guys,

We use JB Weld as our adhesive of choice but we have some work which requires smoothing and taking paint. I saw this on Facebook but have no idea what its like.
Has any body used it or anything similar?
How strong is it?

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just looked at their video and visited their website. It appears to be some form of cyanoacrylate using promoted powders as gap fillers.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Indeed. Looks like a metal powder and a non-metallic powder with super glue to impregnate it. Interesting, but why do you feel you need something different than JB Weld? JB weld is a filled epoxy and can be sanded and painted. In fact, if you make a silicone or Teflon counter mold, you can get a molded finish.

Hi,

We fabricate a lot of I beam and drill with magdrills. When we have a mis drill we patch it so that it is unable to be seen when painted over and re drill in a different location.

At the moment we use JB Weld which works but takes a while to set. I saw the video and thought we may be able to tape over the hole set it, sand it, run a layer of paint down the beam and get it shipped out a little faster!

"We fabricate a lot of I beam and drill with magdrills. When we have a mis drill we patch it so that it is unable to be seen when painted over and re drill in a different location."

!!!!

Can you elaborate on the material of these I-beams?

I would be much happier seeing a mis-drilled hole welded up . Compared to JB weld you could get a hole plug welded and ground off before the JB weld had set, and your material properties would be much better.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

We can weld it not a problem its just more time consuming getting it perfectly smooth to take paint so we use adhesive as its only for the athsteics anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back