Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have a job offer, waiting on another...Do I contact them? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldFredBear

Electrical
Jul 8, 2004
US
Hi all,

Am in a situation where I will be shortly receiving a verbal job offer, followed by the hard copy. I am also confident that another company will be making an offer, but they are a huge corp and I don't foresee the offer coming within the time I will be evaluating the other offer.

My question is, is it acceptable to contact the hiring manager at the larger corp and let him know that I have another offer that I am currently evaluating?

My instincts say that all he can say is 'Sorry we can't pull the offer ahead / You weren't the right person'....That being said I don't think I have anything to lose by contacting the big corp to try and get another offer, especially since the job is also very desirable.

Thanks.
OFB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would tell them. If they are really interested in you, they will pull the offer together. If not, or if they have another candidate they like, you will at least find out where you stand.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

When I interview I also let the HR person know that I am interviewing at other companies. I also ask what their process is and the time it might take to get a firm offer if I am the chosen candidate for the position. That way I have some idea and can plan. Once you get the first offer letter I would contact the HR rep and let them know you will be taking "X" amount of days to decide. Typically, I've seen HR letting candidates have a week to ponder the offer.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

If you really think you are in the running for the second job, then I would say wait until you have a definite offer (not a "we'll be sending you something sometime" offer). For two reason: to find out if they are interested and can make any offer at that time, and if not, to let them know you're no longer available.

Thanks everyone, am planning on letting the other company know that I have an offer and will be evaluating it til X date.

I really do like what you said MintJulep, that may be how I word it.

Thanks again.
OFB

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.....

If offer is made from first company - ask if you can have a few days. Contact second company and ask for the job - NOW.

If not a solid offer take the first job....

IF second company EVER comes through -- then you have another decision to make....

You need a job - not two possible offers!!

I like kill 2 birds with one stone better hahha. Good luck.. I think is a good idea to ask for a few days to think about it and contact the other company whether or not they are going to give you an offer. Didnt they ask what do you expect to make during the interview? I think both companies will offer you the # you said on the interview. If you like the other company better (the one that hasnt given u an offer), then I guess you should as for some time. If you like both companies equally, I say take the 1st offer and forget about the other one. You will be making about the same amount of money I think (unless you told them different # during interview).

Update:

I will be receiving the 1st companies hard copy offer tomorrow, I have contacted the second company stating that I am currently reviewing another offer until X date.

My next question is, for the first offer from the first company we verbally negotiated the salary and package, picked a tentative start date. If the 2nd company has a great offer and I decide to take that, am I binded in any way to the first offer?

My take is the verbal agreement was only on the details of the offer, the signed hard copy would be the employment agreement (which I wouldn't dream of renegging on).

OFB

Like they say, if it isn't in the contract, it doesn't count. If there isn't a contract, I guess it doesn't count either?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

in most cases a verbal agreement can be a legally binding contract. But of course, with verbal agreements, it comes down to what / how you remember it as well as how your prospective employer remembers it. I would guess that in this case, it would be impossible to force you to take a job simply because you had a verbal contract. However, your prospective employer may indeed feel that you have made an agreement and is expecting you to honor it. If you reject it, you will have burned that bridge.

Look for two words in the offer: "AT WILL" meaning that they can kick you out any time and that you can quit any time.
When you do get two offers, you can ask and get 4 weeks of vacation instead of two. If they need you that bad, they'll throw in the additional time off.

Hope you'll pull it off.

I seem to recal that "a written contract isn't worth the paper it's written on" essentially unless you have proof of the verbal contract (e.g. video tape with audio) then it's pretty much meaningless.

I think you mean the following which implies that an oral agreement can be just as legal as a written one...

"Texaco vs. Penzoil case
It has been said, "An oral contract is as good as the paper it's written on," but this is not always the case. For example, In 1984 after Getty Oil was sold to Pennzoil in a handshake deal, Texaco made a higher offer, and the company was sold to Texaco, but a lawsuit by Pennzoil put them in a winning position, being awarded $11.1 billion, later reduced to $9.1 billion, but increased again by interest and penalties."

What is or is not binding from an employment standpoint depends completely on your location. For example, if you are in the US, some states are "right to work" states, which basically means that either you or your employer can terminate your employment at any time, for any reason, with no notice. (I'm not saying this is good business practice, its just the way it is). In these areas there are no real or binding employment contracts.

actually, I am in a "right to work" state and do have an employment contract. In fact, it is stated right in the contract that termination can occur any time. However, the contract does guarantee other things such as starting salary, amount of vacation and sick time, starting job description etc. So, at least for these things it is both "real and binding".

Even a written job offer is only of so much value. My wife works for the state/county via the School District. A while back they had funding problems. They had sent out a job offer to someone and literally the day before they were due to start (late in the day as I recal) HR phoned that person and told them the position had been eliminated.

Effectively they got layed off without even having starting the job, ouch!

KENAT,

Yes, that can happen.

In that case, the other conditions of the employment contract is still in force - such as layoff pay, employee assistance, etc, depending on the contract of course.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Well, they have a 6 month probation during which even they, a government union job, can 'fire at will'. So the person got nothing. I suspect this or similar would be the same in most cases. Layoff pay, if any, is usually based on length of service isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back