Have a job offer, waiting on another...Do I contact them? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldFredBear

Electrical
Jul 8, 2004
US
Hi all,

Am in a situation where I will be shortly receiving a verbal job offer, followed by the hard copy. I am also confident that another company will be making an offer, but they are a huge corp and I don't foresee the offer coming within the time I will be evaluating the other offer.

My question is, is it acceptable to contact the hiring manager at the larger corp and let him know that I have another offer that I am currently evaluating?

My instincts say that all he can say is 'Sorry we can't pull the offer ahead / You weren't the right person'....That being said I don't think I have anything to lose by contacting the big corp to try and get another offer, especially since the job is also very desirable.

Thanks.
OFB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My contract stated that they have to give me 2 weeks notice. So, they need to give me two week's notice before they let me go.

So, if my start date is April 1st, they have to pay me until April 14th, along with my pro-rated vacation pay. If it is currently March 25th, and they call me to let me know that I am let go, and not to come in, that is okay - they still have to pay me the 2 weeks plus pro-rated vacation pay.

Fire at will, or "at will employment" only means that they can eliminate me from the company. The emploment contract signed is still in force and it usually spells out how they can eliminate me. And vice versa of course.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Maybe fire at will was the wrong term due to it's legal conitations.

In effect they can let the person go at any point during the probation period without any notice, reason or notification if I understand correctly.

Do make sure to read and understand any letter of offer. In fact I don't think I've ever actually had the full contract before I actually started. This was normally part of the paperwork I had to do on my first day.

KENAT,

Yes, usually, they can terminate the contract, as per the terms of the contract, beginning at any time, after the contract has been signed.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Take the first Offer. Start working. If the other offer shows up and you decide that it is better, politely inform the first company you decided to work at company #2. Never look back.

Some time ago I was on a job hunt. I received one offer locally and accepted it. Another remote large-company offer came in and they were chagrined that I had accepted another offer. I reported that they were too slow, two months slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back