Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Have Force Point at Fixed Anchor Location NLGEOM Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfrye18

Aerospace
Jun 8, 2021
US
I am working with a geometrically nonlinear simulation, and I'm trying to have a nodal force consistently point at a fixed anchor point, as the model deflects. Using the default CF options doesn't achieve this, as the force consistently points in the same direction, and doesn't change to point towards the fixed anchor point as the model deflects. Using *FOLLOWER also doesn't achieve this, as the nodal rotation of the loaded node doesn't result in the force pointing at the same anchor point. Any ideas?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=197dbea5-3ecc-4770-943b-4fb7cff023c7&file=2dKJZE5NCc.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want the force to change direction during the analysis and standard follower force doesn’t let you achieve the desired goal then most likely the only option is subroutine - DLOAD (unless you physically connect the beam and anchor point). You can find some discussions regarding moving concentrated forces on beams - that might be a good start.

In the rare event that anyone else has similar question, I got this answer on the 3DSwym SIMULIA forums that is working quite well.

"Define a fully constrained reference point at the location of the anchor point and connect it to the beam with a connector element. Then you can prescribe the force in the connector."

Right, that’s more or less what I meant by physically connecting the beam and the anchor point. Abaqus allows for many types of such connections and constraints. Connectors are likely the most versatile of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back