Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problem saving .ipt to .iges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdickens

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have a problem regarding saving a .ipt file to .iges.

At the moment we are using Inventor 11 and I have a part file which is roughly 1.5MB in size.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to want to save in .iges format.

I have tried "re-build all" and then tring to save but to no avail.

It has saved acouple of times but when I open up the .iges file parts of the model seem to be "distorted".

If anybody gas any suggestion they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

B.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen any AutoCad product do a decent job of creating .iges files from complex 3d parts. Seen trouble with SolidWorks translations too, but it's been awhile since I've tried it with that software. The problem, I think, is that iges only gives surface/line geometry information, and it is up to the different software packages to figure out where the metal is and where the holes are. We usually use .step, .sat, or .stl for translation of solid model files.

There is no error message.

It's going through the motions of saving, but then when you go to look for the file it's not there!

Thanks for the help guys.

Try zoom all. Often times when I have produced an iges file the default veiw location is off of the part. You will find that if the part is there it will most likely be a transparent yellow color, this is because it is just a collection of surfaces.

Sorry I just reread your post. Are you saying that the file itself doesn't exist? If so double check the location that you are trying to save to. Also make sure that when you go to "Open", your "files of type" parameter is set to "all files". By default inventor wont open .iges.

Hi all,

I think I've answered my own question!

My part was "split" in to two pieces. Allegedly the .ipt will not save as an .iges if the part has been split, so say our AUTODesk supplier.

I have to build the 2 parts into an assembly to save as an .iges.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Cheers

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back