Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble with blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtruant

Materials
Jul 22, 2011
I hope I can explain this one well....

I created a block, when inserted it should display the view name and the current page. When I edit the block it looks fine. When I insert the block the text size changes, and only a number 1 shows up. If I change the name of the view, the number 1 remains. When I open up the block on it's own it looks like a bomb hit it. Text in random places, and when I zoom the text remains the same size and the lines zoom in and out. It's like I've gone to the twilight zone.

The block was working fine earlier. I wanted the text to be a little larger, so I edited the block and bumped up the size of the text a little...and it all just went to hell.

One other thing. When I do edit the block, I can only see the page number attribute, I have to move my mouse around a while before I can see an outline of the text box that the view name attribute is in....then I have to click around a few times before I can actually edit the text....and then it doesn't work anyway.

What's going on? Shouldn't editing text be easier??

One sort of side question. I created a titleblock, and inserted a jpg of our company logo. It looks great while editing the block, but once I create a drawing the logo is so tiny you can barely see it....just a dot in the corner of the screen. The same things happens to any text that is filled with hatch.

Modeling is great in swx....simple tasks like dimensions, text, blocks and drawing layout is frustrating for me so far. Hope I can put up with it...or learn how to really use it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One more question....is there any way to rename section views in the feature tree? Instead of saying "Section View A-A", I'd like it to say "A Section"...."B Section".

I know that once I insert a block I usually explode block so it just become standard text/lines. For example I have a revision block saved as a block. I insert block then while I still have it as a block I line it up so it justified to the right and just under the previous revision block. Then I explode block and add notes to describe the specific changes in this revision. In my view blocks are used to save common features/notes etc used in a drawing so they can be slapped in, exploded, edited and done.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

I am SO frustrated with the blocks. I cannot, for the life of me, get a SINGLE BLOCK TO WORK CORRECTLY. <---total and utter frustration!

I create a block, insert it....and it looks absolutely nothing like what I had just created. The text is 14 miles apart, 27 times as big, and not editable. I can go back and open the block and it looks fine.

I'm feeling pretty stupid. I can't figure out how to make a simple elevation marker block. An arrow with 2 pieces of editable text.

<END RANT>

SW, to this day, has problems with displaying text at the right size and in the right place. Apple figured it out years ago. Blocks exacerbate the problems. A couple years ago I made blocks of various electronic components and it was a real pain to get the text to display where it should. WYSInotWYG many times.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

If you did create the Block in AutoCAD and insert them in SWx, you will have a lot of problems with you file size and speed.

As to the section note, go to tools/options/document properties/view labels/sections and select the boxes you want. It can be "Section A" automatically. If you want "A Section" you set the first block to be none, so then the view name is just "A".
Then edit the note that shows the section tag to link the view name property SW-View Name(View Name) followed by "Section"
You'll have to do that manually, forever, however. "Section A" might be savable in a template.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back