Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hbridge design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonwalker031

Electrical
Jun 5, 2010
MT
I am designing an H bridge using the FDMS7556S mosfet.
The datasheet states - "This device has the added benefit of an efficient monolithic Shottky body diode."
Does this mean that I can omit the catch diodes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All silicon MOSFETS have a substrate source-drain diode that is a result of the semiconductor structure used. In the case of the Fairchild FDMS7556S it looks pretty good - typical forward voltage at 2A of 0.37V, 0.74V @ 35A and 44nsec typical reverse recovery.

Many times in MOSFETS this diode is not real great, and with inductive loads can result in EMI or extra heating of the MOSFET as the inductor kicks back when the MOSFET turns off. To handle the kick back in these situations, a separate diode must be added across the MOSFET with a lower forward voltage to take the current. With the FDMS7556S you will not need the extra diode unless you're driving a really high inductance, or a transformer with a high leakage inductance.

Note a couple of things. Since the body diode is integral to the MOSFET, any heating issues that you might have had with the MOSFET aren't necessarily mitigated with the body diode, since they're essentially the same device. Secondly, most MOSFET body diodes have relatively poor conductance, since high conductivity is bad for MOSFET performance, so high currents might not be as efficiently removed as with a separate, dedicated diode.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back