Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDPE double wall pipe for sewage applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

mflam

Civil/Environmental
Apr 12, 2005
US
It just came to my attention that there is now available on the market a double walled HDPE pipe with a water tight bell and spigot joint, large diameters for sewage applications.
Anyone have experience with it that they would like to share?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the ADS lineup you have had N-12 (watertight) for a while and now their SaniTite line. They appear to market only SaniTite for sewer applications now, but I'm pretty sure they had rolled out N-12 for both sanitary and storm at one time. My problem with these products has always been cost. By the time you get into pressure rated joints, the upfront material costs can be as much as other conventional pipes materials. Our local contracting pool never seems willing to bid HDPE as an alternate with the labor savings that HDPE reps say give them an advantage over other pipe materials. I'm saying this having used HDPE storm sewer & culverts for in-house maintenance / construction operations and don't have a fundamental problem with the material itself, but do recognize the UV limitations (i.e. we use metal end sections, ...) for some of those installations. As far as the sanitary application, we have a pending trunk line sewer project (2.5mi long) that will upsize a 50 year old line for capacity. SaniTite was investigated by our consultant, but concrete was recommended due to the meandering creek that has challenged this alignment.

I'd be curious as to other opinions and experiences as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back