Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HDPE Pipe Abrasion Resistance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrf

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2003
US
Does anyone have experience with using HDPE pipe to convey a grit slurry. This would be used at the headworks of a municipal wastewater treatment plant. I am contemplating the use of HDPE pipe with long sweep elbows to cut down on clogging problems. I am concerned about the abrasive resistance characteristics of the pipe. Any other material options?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We once replaced a bitumen-lined Ductile Iron sewage rising main which, after 25 years use, was riddled with holes along its invert as a result of ineffective grit separation at the inlet works.
Here in the UK, D.I. pipe for sewage applications now comes lined with High Alumina Cement, which is much better at resisting abrasion, but the manufacturer, St.Gobain, still warns that "Abrasion is likely to be a problem...where a high concentration of solid particles is envisaged"
I've seen claims that PE is better still than High Alumina Cement, but I've never seen any independent lab test results to verify this.
It's widely acknowledged that Polyurethane has the best abrasion-resistance characteristics of all. St.Gobain offer a Pu lining to their D.I. pipes as an option, but it comes at a price.
My recommendation would be to have some form of grit trap at the headworks before you start piping your effluent anywhere.

Have worked with a company called Quality Lining Company in the past and they sell and install a wide range of products and services including HDPE Pipe. They have a website but I don't have the address readily available...sure you can find them on a search engine.

Hi MRF

I have seen ABS, PE, DI and glass lined steel pipes used for grit slurry in STPs.

Because you want to pump grit at a reasonable velocity, the grit pumps must run intermittently at full speed. In conjunction with this, the pump duty head tends to fluctuate due to the non-homogeneous nature of the grit slurry.

This means you will have fairly siginificant cyclic loading on the grit rising main and I have seen PVC and ABS pipes break because of cyclic embrittlement.

I would be inclined to use PE100 (HDPE) because it has excellent abrasion resistance and good resistance to water hammer and cyclic embrittlement.

HDPE is also unlikely to break catastrophically and is relatively cheap to replace. Your idea about using sweep bends is a good one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Aussie Mike

mfr I have considerable first hand experience of pipelines for transport of mineral slurries and sand in the sizes 4" up to 12" pe pipes are infinitely superior in every way except that they need more supports. They are cheaper, do not need external paint, easier to install (can be site run) and will last 20 times longer that steel or iron. ABS is about half as good(but still ten times better than steel or concrete linings.) Urethane material might be more resistant but at a very much higher cost,it is not readily available as "off the shelf" , the steel pipes need painting, and sometimes the linings might come loose . Might you need to go to a higher size to achieve the same inner dia ?

Note that there is quite a range of pe materials - - - PE, UHMWPE - - PE 1000 - - PE500 - - PE300 etc but you are limited to using what is made by the pipeline manufacturers for the water and gas and drain industries.
Dont be too concerned about laboratory tests because nothing in a lab can ever simulate real life conditions. Phone the sand quarry people in your country and ask what they use for sand conveyance. Alternatively contact me at sales@clevelandcorrosion.com or 0044 1947 840 618 I have a few interesting photos if needed Regards David W

mrf,

Some good comments from others here regarding HDPE. I work for a polyethylene pipe manufacturer. [thumbsup2]

I have not seen the studies myself but have been told many times that HDPE can outperform steel in terms of abrasion resistance. If needed I can try and find that data. Of course, this performance depends on the flow velocities, particle size etc. HDPE is the material of choice for many in the dredging industry as well as in mining because of its durability and versatility.

We have also seen many use HDPE pipe for sludge forcemains, I could provide some references if needed. The ones I am familiar with are in Texas.

Kevin Deal
Performane Pipe - formerly Driscopipe, Plexco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back