Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HDPE Standards in Australia 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
I finished my 6-day class in Brisbane yesterday and one of the students was adamant that the pressure limitations that I listed in the course (which were extracted from ASME B31.8) were outrageously low and that her company uses the Queensland Standards to calculate pressure. I looked for the Queensland standards this morning and found several that may be appropriate, but they all require a purchase of the standard. I have no problem purchasing the standard (cost of doing business), but I don't want to purchase 6 or 7 of them before I find the one I'm looking for.

Can anyone point me to the Australian and or Queensland standard that would give max pressure and max temperature calculations for HDPE in natural gas and two phase natural gas/water systems?

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Qenos classifies their HDF193B (a PE100 compound for pressure piping) as HDPE, and MD0898 (a PE80B compound) as MDPE. (ref google search Qenos Polyethylene at a Glance).

As member o Australian standards committees for poly olefin and amorphous plastic pipes for 30 years I am surprised that PE100 is described as a high density PE . Borealis , Agru etc are the leading suppliers of the material and there is plenty of technical information on their website.

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
---B.B. King

The difference between HDPE and MDPE is the number of side chains high density is more side chains per length of main polymer chain- its not actual physical density.

When did that change? I did considerable research on the subject in 2003 and back then the plastic pipe associations were adamant that something called HDPE must have a physical density between 0.941 and 0.965 gm/cc. They had a similar tight range for MDPE and LDPE. Nothing was said back then about cross-linking being required in lieu of meeting the density range. There had been some failures that could be traced back to material that didn't fit the range that the industry had defined and at least one association was talking about a stamp like the one that API provides for tanks. I haven't been in a situation that needed to update that information in the last 10 years.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

stanier,
Under AS4131/AS4130, PE100 is defined by material's strength only. Theoretically, it can be HDPE, MDPE or even LDPE.
However, all PE100 materials that I have come across (in the very short time I've been in the PE game), are classified by their manufacturers as HDPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back