Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Head Hunter vs. Direct Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfpe

Electrical
Jul 18, 2007
US
I got an email from a head hunter earlier today. He didn't give a lot of details, but it's a small world and I recognized the opening he's trying to fill. It's been listed on the company's website for a while and I've been thinking about applying for it.

This might be a naive quesion, but is there any advantage to working through a head hunter? Do they help in the negotiation process or do they just try to make a quick buck and move on?

Thanks,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am always suspect when I get a call from a headhunter who lives five states away and is trying ton get me interested in a position five miles away.

drawn to design, designed to draw

I would suggest that the fact that you've seen the posting, and there's now a head hunter calling, means that they've not had any success,and have called in a head hunter to help find candidates.

I would suggest the head hunter found the job opening on the company website and is looking for people he can submit for the position.

I had a job interview once through a recruiter and the hiring manager mentioned that he was encouraged not to interview applicants submitted by recruiters because the company didn't want to pay recruiter fees (he made an exception for me based on my resume). He said many recruiters submit candidates unsolicited.

Thanks for all the responses. If I apply for this job, I'll go directly to the company, not through the head hunter.

Thanks,
John

Are you 100% sure it's the same job? It may not be. There might be two jobs out there for all you know. Why don't you go direct to the company and the next day go to the headhunter? Then, if there are two jobs out there, you have 2X the chances of getting one, and if it is the same job, the company can decide whether to give the headhunter his commission or not.

Good luck,
Latexman

I just want to add that while the one company I mentioned above didn't want to use recruiters, many do. Many HR departments use them instead of filtering through resumes themselves. Many recruiters also have direct inroads to the hiring managers and can bypass HR.

Everything really depends on the recruiter. I think MikeHalloran's advice above is good. If you find a good recruiter (either the one that contacted you or one you seek out yourself) and let him know you're interested in that job it could better help you get in the door.

Latexman; I have had situations were the fact that I had been submitted by a contract agency and by my sending in a resume myself prevented my getting the position. It may be that a company does not want the headache resulting from the recruiter making a stink and decides to look elsewhere.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Use your knowledge of the available position to your advantage. You've already thought of applying, why not go directly to them and let them know that you were aware of the position before being contacted by a HH. You can save them a lot of money by interviewing directly (although they might have to pay the HH something if they get an unsolicited application...chances are it will be less than if the HH brought someone to them)...anyway, showing them that you are someone who would be brought to the table anyway and that you can save them money in the process, might get you an offer.

Try it...what do you have to lose?

PeterStock,
I had a similar thing in my existing job. I interviewed for a position through a recruiter, but I didn't like the job and told the recruiter that. I never heard from him again until...

A few months later I interviewed for a position in another department that two former colleagues (now current) set up for me. I got that job. Before starting the job I went to lunch with my future boss and I brought up the recruiter for some reason. My boss felt he needed to let HR know so they could keep a good relationship with this recruiter. The recruiter called me the next day to congratulate me and ask if he could help in any way (I had already worked out everything so he couldn't offer anything really). I understand why my company decided to pay him, but I was pissed because the recruiter dumped me for not liking a job he sent me to (he should've known it wasn't what I was looking for) and he still got his pay day.

The headhunter typically charges 20% of your first years salary as a fee for your placement, but that rate can be negotiated between the two parties. So if you have the oppurtunity to get the identical job directly thru the company then do it that way.
Some headhunters look thru the help wanted ads and then contact the company when they have a match for the job - I have no respect for them.
But like previous posters have mentioned they do have their place, and I have gotten jobs thru them, but I am careful at who I give my resume' to.

I have been hired once and received offers several times by using a recruiter. Unless the company hires only through a recruiter, then it is often best to go it on your own. On my last job hunt (two years ago), I had four offers. Two of the offers were on my own and two were through recruiters. The funny thing was, the jobs through recruiters required employment contracts with some pretty onerous terms (i.e., reimbursement of the company for recruiting fees if leaving before two years). Needless to say, I took one of the jobs I found on my own. No employment contract and I am very happy with my current employer!

My understanding is that if you are hired through a headhunter, you are actually work for the headhunter's firm. You get headhunter's firm benefit, not the company you are in for a period of 1 year(or whatever arrangement they have).

One benefit for companies using headhunters, they can terminate your easily if it doesnt work out and they dont have to go through the trouble canceling your benefits.

This is what someone told me so I am not 100% sure. I hate a middle man. A headhunter is pretty much a middleman. They take out a chunk of your salary.

Never, but never question engineer's judgment

CoEngineer - not necessarily, so in this case I'm questioning your judgement;-).

They operate in two disctinct ways and the names overlap.

1. Essentially a job shop - which is what you're talking about.

2. Recruiter - they 'help' the company fill direct positions.

My current job was a temp to perm position via a jobshop/recruiter. First few months I was employed by the job shop with any benefits etc. through them, essentially I was a contractor (though the meaning of this varies) after just over six months I went direct.

What I consider real head hunters specialize in higher pay/profile/nich positions rather than run of the mill job shopping.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

All depends on who the headhunter is I guess. The man that pulled my resume out of thin air for my current position became a headhunter when he retired. He was my former company's GM. Depending on how big your field is, you may find that there are these "boutique" outfits made up of retired executives who can really grease the way into a company. The advantage to this method is that they have their reputations to uphold as well, so it's more than just the $ to them. He really tried to place me with a firm that matched my particular desires. My specific guy actually had to give the my employer a "freebie" a few months later as the one guy he recommended ended up being a closet alcoholic. Word to the wise: don't come into work on 2nd shift after a Super Bowl party where you've been drinking heavily and they can smell you ten feet away. The guy blew over a 0.18 BAC when they took him to the hospital on suspicion of drinking...2 hours after he'd started his shift!

Perhaps your goal is to have as access to maximum number of interviews and opportunities.... and you can turn down or screen out any that don't interest you at your own convenience. In that case I don't know why you would exclude any avenue.... headhunter or other.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back