Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Head Space Eliptical Tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotoo123

Automotive
Sep 11, 2008
CA
I am looking for help in determining the head space in an eliptical pertoleum tank as follows

128" long
head size width 89.5
head size height 61"
tank capacity is 2600 usg.

I need to have a minimum of 250 liters of head space to prevent from overloading.

How do I calculate the volume

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first thing you do is search Eng-Tips

thread770-12414

If this doesn't answer your question, pleasecome back and describe your particular problem.

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948),
when asked about Western civilization

Thanks for the link, but what I need to determine is the haed space in a petroleum transport tank that is constructed as follows
Eliptical design 89.5" x 61"; flanged and dished heads. Dish is approx 6"
Compt 1 is 128' long and 2600 usg
Compt 2 is 91" and 1500 usg
Comp 3 is 57" and 1200 usg
Comp 4 is 91" and 1500 usg
Comp 5 is 128" and 2600 usg

I want to determine the sesnor probe setting so as to ensur eminimum of 250 liters or 3% ullage / head space.

Check with the tank manufacturer. I used to work with cargo tanks and the "elliptical" tanks can have a much more complicated shape than simply width and height.

EJL

It looks to me that with only 250 liters of headspace you could possibly ignore the additional volume provided by the heads, because the heads will be essentially full. The little space remaining in the almost full heads won't change the fluid height calculation of the tank very much. You could try considering the heads totally full and work only with calculating the liquid height in the cylinder segment alone when the cylinder is missing those 250 liters.

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948),
when asked about Western civilization

Mathematically define the head and pull out your Calculus book from college. You should be able to find an example how to calculate volumes from a revolution.

Draw the head as a solid in AutoCAD and have the drawing program calculate the volume/mass of the head.

Either way will work; however as eliebl stated, you will need more info than just the height and width of the head.

Your accuracy for the calculation can only be as accurate as you can define the shape of the head.

I'm a little confused. Does the tank have an eliptical cross section? Or is it a round tank with an eliptical head?

There are companies that specialize im manufacturing heads. The heads are probably standard ASME shapes and the manufacturers can give you the volume. Try B&W heads in Alabama.

Hello. The Pressure Vessel handbook wrote for professor Eugene F. Megyesy contains good information about volume of heads, pg 402.
have a good time
GBY

khann644

I visited the site, Unfortunately it seems the only one that calculates tank volume assumes a cylindrical tank, not an elipsoid one.

I've seen fuel trucks that appear to have an elipsoid shape rather than a standard cylindrical one. It sounds like lotoo123 is dealing with.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back