Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heads out of tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mengnr

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2006
US
I procured a number of smaller pressure vessels with torispherical heads. On QC, some of the heads are out of tolerance. The inside radius is nominally 24 in, allowed to be up to 24.3 per Sec 8 Div 1 UG-81, and actually measures up to 24.5. I would rather just use these if there's a way to show they're safe, rather than returning them and having to wait for new ones to be manufactured. I think they are a little over the required thickness, because I rounded up to a stock size and also to allow for any thinning during forming. I'm trying to avoid having to move into Sec 8 Div 2 because it's been a long time since I used Ansys... Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excellent point. I was unclear and maybe wrong in my description of the problem.

D = nominal inside diameter of the vessel shell at point of attachment = 23.5"
So the inner surface of the head can deviate + 0.294 / - 0.147.

Nominal *radius* of inside surface of torispherical head is 24". I had been thinking this meant the allowable radius was 24 + 0.294/-0.147.

Should the tolerance be applied to the diameter of the inside surface (48 + 0.294 -0.147)? I guess I was confused because in the next sentence, it refers to the knuckle radius...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back