Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat due to abrasive cutting vs residual stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best99

Materials
Sep 22, 2008
TH
Dear sirs,

Please advise me about the standard or suitable practice for residual stress specimen preparation for XRD technic.

I don't sure that normal abrasive cut-off wheel with cooling affected to this kind of measurment or not.

We anxious about quantity of heat genearated near the specimen.

Thank you for your kind support,
Bodyslam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bodyslam,

Grinding is not appropriate for surfaces that will have x-ray diffraction measurements taken. The normal process is to test the surface, then remove a small amount of material by electropolishing, say 25 micrometers, then test again. Repeat as necessary.

TVP

We did not examine on cutting surface but we will test on neighbor surface area that heat due to cutting might be affected to it.

So, i am not sure that this quantity of heat will affect to measurement result or not

Thank you for your suggestion

Bodyslam

The cutting surfaces should be as far away as possible from the measurement area. Can you keep them at least 50 mm away? Use interrupted cutting if possible, and maximum coolant flow during cutting.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

If there is discoloration at the cut then you may have problems. Don't use a general purpose blade for this, get one that is correct for the material that you are working with. And a narrower blade is better.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Are you using a metallurgical cut off machine? Leco/buhler/your flavor; will generally not create a huge HAZ (not microstructurally obviously) with the stress distribution. Cutting may, through removal of material.

What alloy are you looking at? Do you have estimates of the magnitude and variation present in your sample?

I'm certain that stress relief will occur at lower temperatures than microstructural changes, in steels at least.

Nick
I love materials science!

Addendum: We used to use a buhler wet cut off machine all the time on shotpeened springs. -- to bodyslam, who is obviously in the spring business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back