Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heat exchanger design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They do build then for end withdrawal, but not split. The sealing would be a nightmare.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Split where? Along the axis or perpendicular to the axis?

Why do feel the need to inspect and clean?

Due to the difficult of sealing the ends for a system that allows removal it is pretty rare to find something like this.

If you search "water cooling jacket" there are many items which are pre-packaged external jackets which you could get where the inner pipe slides inside a cooling self contained jacket.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@EdStainless and @LittleInch - thanks for the responses

Good question on the split orientation, i should have included this in my original question. The split i had in mind would be along the length of the tube. The attached image is close to what i have today. I was thinking of having a water inlet and outlet for both the top and bottom half, and having this hinged. having a half of the water jacket and half of the tube as one assembley x2.

The reason i want to clean/inspect this area, is that it is fixtured to the furnace end. What i see is alot of debris/dirt build up in the furnace and dragged into this area. At the moment it is a length that i cannot get at. It is also quite a time consuming task to take off this section and clean out with an air gun. What would be ideal would be able to open up this section in sitchu to inspect and clean. Also the alignment of cooling blocks etc in this cooling section is quite important for the material transformation, so having visibility to this would be great.

@EdStainless and @LittleInch you both mentioned the problematic sealing, if i go ahead with this, any advice on the best way to approach?

How about if the cooling tube and jacket remained seal to the furnace, but there was a section within the cooling tube that i could open? Thus, not cracking the seal at the zone with the temperature differential, but cracking it in the cooling zone itself?

Thanks

Matt

I do not understand why one of the many standard TEMA designs would not work.

Several can be configured with additional nozzles for pressure flushing and debris collection.

Heads and tubesheets can be made removable in TEMA designs....

This talk about "hinges" and "looking in" makes me very nervous

What is all this "in sitchu" business ??? Is that a trendy neighboorhood where you want to do the cleaning ??.....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back