Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heat exchanger idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidgassolid

Marine/Ocean
Jun 14, 2013
US

I've built a heat exchanger for a cooling system that will be immersed in cold water. I would like to cool both an engine and the exhaust manifold in a closed circuit. I'm wondering if an aluminum heat exchanger with about 10 square feet of surface area immersed in 60f water would be sufficient to prevent the coolant in the system from boiling. The exhaust headers are water jacketed in a closed system. Been a whole lifetime since I've done any intense thermo calcs. The engine is a gm 181 ci hyster forklift engine. Any thoughts advice? Something "cool" to ponder.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You would need to provide a lot more information to be able to use any kind of calculations to determine if the 10 square feet is enough. For example, how are the heat exchanger tubes arranged? If they are too close to each other you could end up reducing your effective heat transfer due to each pipe being close enough to affect the ambient temperature near another. Also, is the liquid the exchange is immersed in moving? What specific type of aluminium, coolant are you using. The list goes on. This might be more in depth that what you were looking for but if it isn't I can help you out with the calculations provided you have more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back