Status
Not open for further replies.

marty007

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2012
CA
Hello,

Code: ASME VIII-1 (2017)

When you guys are working on heat exchangers where you have different levels of PWHT and/or radiography on the tubeside vs. shellside, how would you mark this on your nameplate? Does the extent of PWHT and radiography cover the entire vessel, or can we separate the tubeside from the shellside?

Example:
[ul]
[li]Tubeside: PWHT and RT1[/li]
[li]Shellside: no PWHT and RT3[/li]
[/ul]

I see two routes here for stamping under the U/W markings:

1) Stamping for overall vessel: RT4 / PHT (extent of RT/PWHT would be clarified on MDR)
2) Stamping for individual chambers: RT1-T / HT-T / RT3-S​

I feel like I'm blanking this morning, and searched the code for confirmation without any luck... What does everyone else do?

Cheers,
Marty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that the ASME rules on nameplates is vague regarding the minimum RT information necessary displayed.

(More information is always better, Many HX vendors include additional information required by the customer)

Unless there has been some recent change to the rules, I believe that these guidelines still apply:

BTW, I have specified and purchased S&T HXs for clients that always require an extra-large standoff bracket for the ASME nameplate. The clients always wanted this bracket for HX equipment number plates and possible future repair plates.

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Hi Marty,

for your question ASME VIII/1 is very precise:
UHX-19.1(b)
"When the markings in accordance with UG-116(b)(1), UG-116(c), UG-116(e) and UG-116(f) are
different for each chamber, the chambers[highlight #EF2929] shall[/highlight] be abbreviated as:
(1) S for shell side
(2) T for tube side
This abbreviation [highlight #EF2929]shall[/highlight] follow the appropriate letter designation and shall be separated by a hyphen. For example,use:
(3) L‐T for lethal service tube side
(4) RT 1‐S for full radiography on the shell side"
That means only your route 2) is in compliance with the Code.

Regards - Juergen

There is was! I knew it was in the code somewhere. I was reading through UG-116, and blanked on checking UHX... Thank you.

I really wish the code wasn't so disjointed sometimes. Make one paragraph for nameplates stamping requirements, give us one place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back