Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat gain from vehicle exhaust? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams_imported

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2017
AE
Dear All,

Hope all you fine.

Right now I am stuck in the middle of the thermal load calculation. I am making this calculation for the vehicle workshop. There we are making ventilation and cooling by the 100% FAHU. I gave all the space inputs and system input other than the heat gain from the exhaust of the vehicle? I searched many sites and referred some books also. I couldn't find any numbers. But as by my academics knowledge the vehicle exhaust will carry more than 30% of the heat input and lesser that 40% only we will get the useful mechanical work. If I follow this, The normal saloon engine produce 90kw, from this we get approximately 68kw per vehicle. is this possible?
Please let me know some values

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean the engine is exhausting into the facility??

You'll be dead fairly quickly.

Please look at your post and think how you could answer that post with the information you've given us ( i.e. not very much).

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Due to the toxic chemicals (carbon monoxide) contained in vehicle exhaust, codes and NFPA require that the engine exhaust be connected directly to an exhaust fan/duct. There are systems on the market specifically designed for this application. Keeping the vehicle exhaust out of the workshop space makes the heat gain neglible.

Thanks for all the responses & advice.

There are 8 vehicles in the workshop, This facility is for vehicle repairing. I assumed 2 Engines working all the day. There is no Exhaust duct to take the vehicle. This facility is fully enclosed there are roller shutters - 3x4 meter this always in the open condition. And the 80 percentage only the return air & 20% giving fresh air.

As per the above answers which are correct, DUCT THE EXHAUST OUT OF THE BUILDING. No exceptions. I would never put my seal on such a project which discharges exhaust fumes into the breathing air.

Your OP reminds me of a tragic event that took place in Springfield, MA several decades ago. A person wanted to add additional heat to his building during a very cold winter. He disconnected the vent from his gas heated cloth drier and the result was the occupants were found dead from exposure to the deadly vent gases.

"This facility is fully enclosed there are roller shutters - 3x4 meter this always in the open condition."

So which is it? Fully enclosed or always open?

Is this a new facility or existing? Do you have a drawing?

We all think that you drive your vehicles in, close the doors and then run the engines flat out??

We also all think you'll be dead fairly soon or sick if you do I for too long.

Something doesn't make sense here. Please help us to understand.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Jams, your assumption of energy consumption is not correct.
Power input at motor is not rated HP. Power input is rate of fuel consumption. At iddle, little fuel is consummed.

1- Make your people understand that motors need to be shut in the workshop. Except for moving vehicules in and out.

2- If possible, do not recirculate air. You recirculate your pollution. It creates problems, notably when wielding. I assume wielding is to be done in your shop. Then think localized exhaust.

3- If not confident in operator, mesure CO level in shop. Trigger an action when approching Worker Exposition Values.

I disagree with piping the exhaust unless it is a motor test bench. But a test bench should be separate from a workshop.

Remember a workshop is not an office building. It will be cool in the winter and hot in the summer. Look around and see what is done in similar workshops in the region you operate.

From my experience in mining, it can be done and works well.

Ingenieur Minier. QuTbec, Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back