Heat Generation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickstyles5

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2008
CA
Hi,
I am looking to determine the size of my air-conditioning unit and I am missing two pieces of information. Can someone provide me with the heat generation (Btu/hr or kW) for a typical computer as well as a computer screen?
I have my HVAC textbook at home so I do not have access to the information.
Thank you in advance.
Gabriel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think plug load is easy, just use one of those watt-meters. ASHRAE has standard numbers. It really depends on the office, there also are copiers, printers etc.

I think all the other information is harder to get (infiltration, ventilation, perimeter walls and roofs, solar gain through glazing, humans).

If nothing else, an office PC with LCD screen should not be more than 100W. Obvioulsy you can have dual grafics card and play videogames and 400 W are possible, obviously I want to work in that office :)

ASHRAE 2001 Fundamentals - 29.12 Table 8
Average Heat Gain from Computer Eq:

Computers ( Continuous / Energy Saver Mode)
Avg (55w/20w)
Conservative (65w/25w)
Highly Conser (75w/30w)

Monitors (Continuous Only)
13-15in - 55W
16-18in - 70W
19-20in - 80W

Hope that helps.
D

It looks like the monitor numbers are for CRT monitors, LCD are significantly lower. On the other hand there is a trend to dual-monitors.
If you have proper CAD work stations I'd say 100W for the PC.

AggieDave, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much! I will use the conservative approach for now because it is only a ballpark value we are looking for to size an air-conditioning unit.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back