Heat Number Requirement on Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.wasif

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2017
PK
Hello everyone,

I am procuring JIS 3101 SS-400 grade sheets of thickness 1/16", 1/8" and 3/16". As per our requirement Heat number shall be embossed on sheets for MTC verification. However, supplier is claiming that the heat no. won’t be embossed on the sheets as these sheets are cut from coil. I want to confirm that is there any code or standard requirement for heat number embossing in case sheets are developed from coil. Furthermore, Is the claim of supplier is valid? . Because if heat number is not mentioned on sheets how can we authenticate the supplier's MTC?

Thanks and Regards,
Wasif

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Time for lawyers. This is not an engineering problem but a contract compliance one. If there is little time to purchase conforming material I assume there will be a lot of pressure to say this is just fine and ignore the future possibility of disaster from the supplier shipping non-compliant material. Alternatively expensive testing to see if the material has the required properties and figuring out who will pay to do that. Still leads back to lawyers.

What did your Purchase documents require? What are the requirement for marking according to the JIS 3101 Material Specification? If all are clear than as stated previously it is a legal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back