Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat number transfer on to the materials received 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saravana22

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2016
SA
We purchase many materials ranging from A36 structural steels to AA304, ss316, ss430 rods. These materials are received sometimes with stamping of heat numbers and sometimes without stamping and only with MTC. In these cases we are immediately trasfering the HT in the MTC on to the materials.
Can we continue this process. Kindly suggest

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you so much. Person from ARAMCO have raised doubts that as this HT is not stamped from mill / supplier, what is the guarantee that this material is of the heat number stamped.

We have told them that this is being practiced over the years as we do n ot get the HT stamped on the material always. We have this in our procedure as well.

If you blindly accept that the material supplied is the same heat number as the MTR, that is a risk you assume. Purchasing should be ordering Code materials with traceability. It can be steel stamped when acceptable, marked with paint pen, marker, labels or tags. If it is not traceable, the supplier should be made to provide a certificate that the material is from heat number ...... Have you ever received material with markings and MTRs for it only to find that you also received material that you did not get MTRs for. My point is it is dangerous to assume that just because you have a piece of paper with a heat number on it does not mean the material is from that heat.

I've seen aluminum plate received from the manufacturer stamped with the alloy and heat numbers on one side and stamped as a different alloy and different heat number on the opposite side. Resolution: send it back to the manufacturer.

Best regards - Al

Thanks Metengr, Don56 and Gtaw for all your valuable inputs.....

Its very tricky and shall proceed by transfering the heat no on the material as soon as we receive.....

We have an experience receiving materials stamped not with heat numbers but by a unique identification code traceable to material certificate. Sometimes heat numbers are so lengthy to be stamp on the materials, that is why shorter identification is stamp which is traceable to material certificate. If no material traceability at all, I agree with gtaw to send it back to manufacturer. It will be pretty hard to explain and have client approval for those materials.

I think you could defend this (some with tag&heat numbers and others without tag&eat no.) by:
The product was received in the condition as per ASTM A6 Section 18.1.4.2 and 18.6.1. In addition, the transfer proceeded maybe because it was written your in-house qc procedure/traceability.

Since you did not specify details like the above mentioned and unsure of your transfer "program", I believe you are in tight schedule and have disturbed mind.

So to answer, in my opinion, as a remedy, I think you can proceed as long as the supplier guaranteed that these heat numbers is pertinent to this product and a Guarantee Letter should have been submitted by the Supplier.

Ciao!
(Just my opinion)

In my opinion these materials should be rejected if there is no traceability between the actual material and the MTC. There will be no way for you to confirm that the actual material conforms to the material specification to which it was manufactured. Some tests that may have been required by the client specifications such as ladle analysis could also not be confirmed with out traceability to the material certificate. It will most defiantly not comply to either EN 10204 3.1 or 3.2 requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back