Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Recovery Off Screw Type Air Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnotherChemE

Chemical
Jun 21, 2007
US
Hello,
I'm trying to spec out a way to recover heat off two 400hp screw type air compressors. These units have (or will shortly) their own four pass heat exchangers using an EG/water mix as cooling on the tube side. The oil from the compressor is in a closed loop.

Now the units developed by the air compressor company should be rejecting about 900,000-1MBTU/hr in the form of ~105 deg F EG/water flowing at about 70 GPH.

My scheme is to set up a secondary HX to recover this heat into a 55 deg F stream of city water which will then be mixed with the water headed to our [future] direct fire heaters.

One compressor is running pretty much 24/7 whereas the other might kick in 60% of the time when we enter peak production. We also have several 150hp compressors from the same company which might be worked into the system at a later date.

Now I'm fairly familar with shell and tube variety HXs, but I need to know if there are more efficient variaties for my application. One manufacturer suggested I consider a "Plate and Frame" type.

Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back