Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heat Transfer Coefficients

Status
Not open for further replies.

iken

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
NZ
I have done a search on previous threads, and cant seem to find an answer to this (although I believe it would have been asked/answered previously).

Can anybody advise the best (most comprehensive) text book, of reference tables for the heat transfer coefficient for tubes (copper and steel) in shell & tube heat exchangers.

This would be water to water type. I realise there are "ranges" given, but I assume there is/has been experiments done in the past, with the results being published for various flows etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When performing the heat transfer calcs for an exchanger, you will need to calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient, which is based on fluid types, velocities, conductivities, viscocities, etc. You should review GPSA Manual Section 9 for how to obtain film coefficients at different flow rates and calculate the overall heat transfer coefficients based on inside, outside, & metal coefficients.

Go to Perry's "Chemical Engineers Handbook." There you will find methods for sizing shell and tube heat exchangers, and you will find many references.

Also, on the internet, look for HTRI (Heat Transfer Research Institute). I don't know if they still exist, but as recently as 10 years ago, they performed computer sizing calculations, for a fee of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back