Heat Transfer Culculation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgr4895

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2002
MY
Hi..
Is there anybody who know the on line heat transfer culculation or heat transfer software that can do culculation by just key in the parameters.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's the formula for heat transfer: Q=(A)(U)(D)
Q= quantity of heat (BTU/Hr)
A= surface area of wall (sqft)
U= coefficient of heat transmission (BTU/hr/sqft/Degree F)

Also you can go to if you want to look at buying software.

wgr4895: Engineer in a Box. It's a discredit to people who work their rear ends off through a career and a lifetime to fully understand heat transfer to ask for a software program that acts as your brain. This is a difficult subject to most who have studied it; a software program given to one without a knowledge of the subject is like handing over a 747 to someone who doesn't know how to take off and land. With all due respect to you as a person, I would recommend you persue it in college.

There are two free, educational web sites for heat transfer methods, as used in the design of fired heaters and heat recovery units. These sites not only guide you through the formulas with examples, but have working JavaScript calculators, that allow you to practice using the methods. There are methods for radiation and convection transfer at these sites.
Jack Hardie

ChasBean1 - sorry man, the marketplace doesn't care how long somebody took to learn something. If there's a cheaper, faster way to achieve the end result, you're toast. (Blacksmiths, wheelwrights, coopers, etc.) Plumbers complain about how long it took them to learn to do a nice, neat soldered joint on copper pipe, and now there's Pressfit, and all kinds of plastic tube that can be put together by anyone with an adjustable wrench. When my father was an apprentice carpenter in the early '40s, he had to be able to figure out window frames because all they got handed on a lot of prints was the size of the glass.

I think in the end, we lose by this headlong rush into pre-fabbed everything, and computer programs that let pretty much anyone do anything, without understanding it. Most of industry has become things done by rote, as opposed to understanding, and whole areas of fundamental technology are being shunted aside, and forgotten. I don't see this as a positive trend at all. I agree with you, but the short term business perspective of "get the numbers for the next quarter" doesn't.

TBP

I totally agree with you. It's the way things work. I find that by programming the relations in the VDI-warmeatlas, which is the best book on the topic, u can calculate any heat transfer problem.
Oh yeah the book is in German and metric, of which the latter is the way we engineers should work !!

gr. cees-jan

It seems I have hit a nerve. My intent was only to get the guy started.
Occasionally you will get some people who feel they can be engineers with the use of some nifty program, only soon to realize that they don’t have the background to understand and utilize the software and must seek further help or education. I would not feel threatened by the use of these programs by people who are not experienced in any particular field.

Wgr4895 if your going to be doing in-depth problems with thermodynamics & heat transfer you will need to take some courses. However if your problem is fairly simple there are plenty of books available.

JLW:

Don't apologize - you gave the guy a formula; he has to work it out from there. Sometimes, people don't have access to their text books (for example, when they're in the field) and need a helping hand. I thnk the idea behind these forums is to give a helping hand but not to do someone's work for them. Your response was of the helping hand sort. Patricia Lougheed

to Patricia,

For those people in the field who need a heat transfer textbook, they should consider going to:

A Heat Transfer Textbook, 3rd edition
John H. Lienhard IV, Professor, University of Houston
John H. Lienhard V, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Copyright (c) 2000-2002, John H. Lienhard IV and John H. Lienhard V. All rights reserved.

It is available for download at no charge. Since it is 6.5 MB you may want to download it before you head to the field (where the DSL line may be hard to access).

Regards,

Gunnar

Hello Everybody!

One thing, I'm sure, to be an engineer, that means to do it, to face problems and create solutions really, to make things to work out and, very important, to make money with that exercise, it demands you first of all, to understand indeed, what you are dealing about. That requires to know the fundamentals!!!. Even with all that staff of software, that kind of presumed fast-"engineering", I don't know, only can help you just a bit! What matters, what is important, you have to know to go there by yourself, in the way of hard-study, years of experience in the field, a lots of trial and error processes, professional maturity, facing the others criticism, lack of loyalty and even that, we arrive to the conclusion, that is worth of it!!!
Even the pay is not so good! Believe me, along of these years, I had already a very amazing professional moments, that forced me to go to the toilet to cry out, YES!!!
I wouldn't sell those moments for any money of this world!
zzzo

I once got a call from an employer who wanted me to write what I now call "cookie cutter" finite element software that designers and draftsmen could use to analyze tires. I promptly told this employer that to implement such an "expert" software analysis system would be dangerous because a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous.

Likewise with heat transfer...If you are not schooled with at least a BSME (or BSChemE) then don't try to do heat transfer! Hiring a consultant to do it for you is a good idea, though.

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back