Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Transfer from fire to human skin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

giant4203

Mechanical
May 30, 2008
CA
Hello,

I've been racking my brain the past few days on this one, and was hoping someone could help, as heat transfer is not my strong suit.

I'm looking to find the radiant heat Flux from a natural gas fire source to a person's skin approximately 20 feet away. Natural gas is being expelled from an accumulator through a pipe. Can anyone shed sone light on this and point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are lots of literature on the subject of "fire radiative energy"

Your question is not sufficiently precise; how big is the fire? A candle-sized gas fire would produce almost nothing at 20 ft, while a 5 ft wide fire would generate a huge radiative load.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

Thank you for the reply!

The fire would be about 6 ft wide and 8-10 feet tall I believe are the initial parameters we're discussing. Thanks!

The API procedure for estimating radiation heat flux at a given distance from a flame generating a given heat release rate at a known luminosity is to be found in an Appendix in API521. There is an example calc there too. Its been many years since I saw that appendix - presume it is still there. There are simulation programs for this also, and PHAST is one which is available for purchase in the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back