Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Transfer from stainless steel tank of waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

luktek

Electrical
Nov 25, 2009
CA
I am using Liquid Cooled Variable Frequency Drives and am wondering if it would be possible to cool the drives sufficiently using a large stainless steel tank full of water and then a pump to cycle water through the VFDs. The ambient temperature will be a constant 30C. I am not really familiar with this type of application, being a power electronics guy, and am wondering what formulas I need to consider in sizing the tank for heat transfer to the ambient air.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just how unreasonable would it be to suggest moving VFD's above ground? What sort of issues would arise with longer VFD -> motor cables?

Or, similar to James' suggestion, make a cooling circuit with a pump and above ground heat exchanger.

If the idea includes blowing air over a large tank, just accept using an air-to-water heatexchanger. On the other hand, mines I have been in have access to water, cold water. Use a water-to-water heatexchanger.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back