heat transfer of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkellen

Automotive
Feb 17, 2015
US
Hello all,

I need to calculate water out temperature.
What I know:
Water Temperature in = 70 degrees F
Size of drilled hole through a block = .242" diameter
Pressure of water at inlet = 100 PSI
Temperature of block = 500 degrees F
Length of block = 5.542"
Opening in opposite side of block is open to air

Is there any way to calculate this?
Is there a calculator out there for this sort of calculation?
This is for inside a casting mold.

Thanks,
Wayne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. One side of the block will have molten aluminum on it. 1280 degrees F. I am looking more for a simple if the block stayed at 500 degrees F and you constantly run water through it, what will the out temp change to. Will it end up steam on the out end or will it just be hotter water? what kind of temperature will it pick up? How can this be calculated if possible?

Your block material has a moderate thermal conductivity 70 W/m-K, but your water flow is coming out around 21 gpm, which works out to handling 5.57 kW/K

Assuming 5.5 in square area and distance of 2.5 in, the heat flow to 70F surface from 1280 F surface is only 18kW, which suggests that the water will initially steam, until it drives the surrounding material down below boiling point, and the water eventually will run around 76 F.

Lots of assumptions made, possibly erroneously. You'll need a decent thermal FEA to get a better answer.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thats a lot of what I was looking for. I have flow simulation software that I can use that will give me die steel temps after 20 cycles or so. It however doesnt take flow of water into consideration and will not tell me how much the temperature will elevate. Basically you just tell it what in the model is water and what temp. It holds that surface at that temp and then gives you how that effects the tool steel. I was looking for how to calculate it before getting to the simulation software, so I can plan accordingly from the start. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back