Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

heat transfer properties of electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

cef3rd

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2000
US
Visit site
I've been searching the Internet for typical electronic component values for materials data for heat transfer. So far I have been unsuccesful. I'm interested in discrete parts as well as ICs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mintJulep answered my query with this info, so thanks go to them:

Purdue Research Foundation recently licensed CINDAS LLC to disseminate materials properties technical data that was generated through research and testing over the past 20 years. This data has been published in two new electronic databases that are significant additions to any technical library.

THERMOPHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS DATABASE (TPMD):
The TPMD covers thermophysical properties such as thermal expansion, thermal conductivity, specific heat, thermal diffusivity, and thermal radiative properties like total emittance, spectral reflectance, spectral transmittance, and spectral and solar absorbance. This is the most comprehensive database of its type available. There are over 5,000 materials and over 50,000 data curves in the TPMD. The materials covered include: elemental metals, ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, single, binary, ternary oxides and mixtures of oxides; non-oxide compounds, minerals, polymers, composites, and animal and vegetable natural substances.

MICROELECTRONIC PACKAGING MATERIALS DATABASE (MPMD):
The MPMD contains data and information on thermal, mechanical, electrical, and physical properties of electronics packaging materials. The MPMD was initially developed through both basic and applied research, using both experimental techniques and literature searches by the Center for Information and Numerical Data Analysis and Synthesis
(CINDAS) at Purdue University in conjunction with the Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC). There are over 600 materials and over 11000 data curves in the MPMD; and, it is constantly being updated and expanded with the latest materials developments.

Both the MPMD and the TPMD incorporate a newly developed data management and analysis system that allows the user to not only readily search for and access the data, but also
to compare a property of several materials on the same
graph. All datasets contain the composition of the material, the experimental conditions, the raw and smoothed data, references and dynamic graphic display. A unit conversion feature is incorporated in the system and the data can be easily exported into modeling programs. The features and capabilities of the system are too lengthy to describe in a letter. Please try the demo for each of the databases and get additional information by going to our website:

The MPMD and TPMD are available in electronic format in a web-based version or on a CD-ROM that can be either networked or used on an individual PC. Downloadable order forms and pricing information are available on our website. You can also contact us directly by E-mail or by phone:

CINDAS LLC
PO Box 3814
West Lafayette, Ind. 47996-3814

Phone/Fax: +1 765-746-2039
Toll Free: +1 800-696-7549 (US and Canada only)

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.

The staff of CINDAS LLC

Try the online resources at the CALCE Center, Univ of Maryland:

Some of the materials are "members only", but there is some data to grab.

What level of detail do you want to go to? I don't know if you will find thermal properties for an entire component as a lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back