Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heat Transfer ? - Steel Tube/Duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

somarp

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2004
US
Duct is a 8” x 8” steel square tube with 0.3125” wall thickness, 200” long.
Duct weight 742 lbs.

One end is capped off and the other end is capped off except it has a 4" OD inlet opening.

An external heat source will be used to pump heated air through 4" OD opening in the tube.

The duct is placed in -40 degrees F outside still air.

Determine overall BTu's per hour to heat the steel from inside to out to bring the outer surface from the -40 to 32F
Determine the required forced air temperature of heat source on inside of duct to maintain outer surface at 32F

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Student Question?
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

No, not a student. I am mechanical designer, but have been tasked with this problem and it has been quite a while since my Thermo and Heat Transfer days. I am just looking for some advice/assistance on how to get this started.

And why would you not be using the information on that site, considering that your problem seems to be perfectly apropos for a convection calculation?

I'm assuming that since you've been here a while, you'd have to be a super-senior times 3 to still be a student, yet your problem statement is couched precisely the way homework problems would be formulated.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

This does seem to be a more academically-slanted problem. I would like to know what the practical application really is. Also curious what maximum pressure is possible, since it only allows in-flow: is the flow driven by a fan, blower, or compressor? Does not appear that there will be very thorough mixing of the warm gases inside of the vessel, and, thus, rather uneven surface temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back