Heat Treat Container for Small Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfengineer

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2001
US
Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but the question's related to handling of materials, so here goes:

My company has been having problems with our heat-treater. When we send them small parts (.3"-.4" diameter, .1" tall cylinders), they have been coming back with severe damage. We had thought they were just tossing them in and not worrying whether larger parts bumped them or even sat on them throughout the heat-treat process. Turns out they've been vacuum packing them into foil bags, and so all the sharp edges of the little parts are digging into each other. Scrap rates have started to go through the roof with this method!

We've been with this company for a while so we're looking into a solution. (Or rather, my boss wants me to look into a solution.) Does anyone know of a source for small metal boxes, preferably with some or all mesh? Steel would work, but Hastelloy is requested. We can make our own if need be, but prefab is always faster.

Thanks for any help or tips!
Erica

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To: fiesty

If you go to an open wire basket or expanded metal as it is called in some forms, your heat treater will then be required to use a vacuum furnace or some other atmosphere controlled furnace if you want to maintain the current as heat treated surface condition.

Another option is to vacuum pack as they are presently doing execpt individually package each part.

Another option might be to suffer surface oxidation from heat treat in basket in open air furnace withsubsequent tumbling to remove oxidation.

Another option is to ask your heat treat source to either provide the baskets or they should be able to point you to a source for the baskets. Now you are back to whether or not they can atmosphere or vacuum treat in the open baskets. If not then yuo need to find another heat treat source who can perform yuor requirements and they will without doubt be able to point you to a source for the Hastelloy baskets. Jesus is the WAY

Hi, I work with heat treating fragile aluminium castings. They are damaged through contact with each other. I am presently working on basket designs to help protect the individual castings . One way that works is squares of Stainless steel on a Stainless Steel mesh base. It is more weight but does offer individual protection.
regds Richardvereker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back