Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat treating AISI 1144 for best wear resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STENCH999

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2004
CA
I have a forming tool / press made from AISI 1144, and would like to know the best method to use to get the highest hardness / wear resistance. Strength and toughness do not matter for this application.

Should I even bother heat treating this part made from aisi 1144, or should we make another from a different material (tool steel maybe what i'm after)?.

Any help would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Selecting a different material would be a very good idea. A tool steel or a cermet (tungsten carbide) would be best for this application.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

If the part isn't very intricate and as you say strength and toughness are no problem you can use a water quench to get a reasonable hardness without the material being like glass. The following heat treatment will get you by for short time.
Normalize @ 1650°F air cool
Reheat to 1550°F water quench
Temper at 800°F
Hardness Rc 39-40

I have to agree with CoryPad that another material would be the route to take. I would start with the Air Hardening Variety.

Be aware that this grade will be quite susceptible to quench cracking when water quenched, so if the tool has sharp corners or drastic changes in section, then this may pose a problem. I agree with the others that a proper tool steel like D2 or M2 would be a good place to start. Manufacturers like Carpenter, Crucible, and Timken Latrobe have a great deal of technical information available from their websites.

Thank you very much gentlemen, I shall just keep the one I already have for a spare and get another made up out of one of the tool steels. I was thinking along the lines of a A7, seems to have a high wear resistance.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back