Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat treatment in a conveyer furnace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tienti

Mechanical
May 1, 2012
Hi,

I am looking into using a heat treatment conveyor furnace for my product and need a furnace with different temperature zones. My heat treatment profile is going to be from 150Celcius to 500Celcius then to 800Celcius.

My question is, how is the temperature regulated from sector to sector? And can’t one temperature zone affect the neighboring zone causing inaccurate heating?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a belt furnace a combination of PID controllers and thermocouples with auto-setting parameters are used. The thermocouples are placed in every single zone and slightly above the belt to give the most accurate feedback to a computer control system.

Doesn't the higher temperature zone affect the lower temperature zones though?
For example, the 500C zone will cause changes to the 150C zone. Also, How well can the temperature in the zone be controlled?

Yes, the 500C zone can affect the 150C zone, if there are any changes in the temperature of that particular zone, more or less power is directed to that particular zone by an automatic controller. A PID precision is +/- 1?C and a cross-belt temperature uniformity is around +/- 4?C for a 1000mm belt width in our industry.

You should google belt furnaces and call them yourselves for more precise information. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back