Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heating coils & Column supported roof for Liquid sulphur storage tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahulvaland

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2011
IN
I am handling a Liquid sulphur storage tank (42 m Dia x 9 m Ht) for which operating temperature is 137 deg. C & design pressure is Atmospheric. I have following queries.

1) For above tank, is it adequate to provide heating coils on Tank roof & bottom only ?
OR
Are the coils required on Tank shell also, in addition to tank bottom & roof ?

2) Can I provide column supported roof for this tank ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

#2 -- Yes, but do not use pipe [traps sulfur], use I-beams

#1 -- ?? With sufficient heat input and good insulation, tank bottom only is sufficient.

Thanks Duwe6 for reply.

However,if you have any past experience of Liquid sulphur storage tank with column supported roof, than kindly share the same.

Also, based on experience, use only non-wicking, non-porous insulation for the first meter or so up from your tank bottom. Molten sulfur is just the right temperature to cause rapid, massive Corrosion-under-Insulation; CUI.

The roof vent will need to be heat-traced to keep sulfur fumes from consension on the flame arrestor grid-plate. And do not try to rum your tank without a vent with a flame arrestor. Flaming sulfur tanks are ugly.

Molten sulfur storage tanks are extremely dangerous and pose unique threats of explosion and vent fires.

Aggressive interior and exterior corrosion is also a major concern

It is unfortunate that neither the AiCHe not any sulfur producing industry member has developed a guidline for molten sulfur storage and handling.

It is unfortunate that those who are charged with making important (and expensive) design decisions do not have such a guideline to rely upon.

Its not like we haven't been dealing with sulfur for thousands of years...

My opinion only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back