Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heating of Threaded inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILJS

Automotive
Mar 18, 2003
AU
Hi, I'm looking for an efficient method of heating brass nutserts (threaded knurled tubular nut) prior to loading them into an Injection Moulding tool.
The process entails loading several nutserts per moulding cycle of 55 seconds, via an XY robot into the tool, the nuts serts need to be at a constant 100deg.C at the commencement of the moulding cycle.(ambient heat losses will be a factor)
The nutsert position accuracy will be achieved by the end of arm tooling and moulding tool relationship.The solution I envisage would be relatively fast,safe and energy efficient.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest having the nutserts in a heated storage area. An aluminum or brass block that is maintained at 100-110 degC, with wells milled for part placement. This heat block temperature can be maintained with any cartridge heater. Use this as a reservoir where your robot can pick up these pieces at will. Otherwise, you will require a much higher temperature heat source to have your pieces at temp in the short time you need them. This usually leads to less temperature control as well as higher operating costs.

aspearin1

Hi ILJS

This is probably a stupid idea but assuming you are intending to use a normal bowlfeeder to provide inserts to the robot would it be possible to install small cartridge heaters in the feeder escapement and track?
As normally bowlfeeders are made from ali, could you install heating in the bowl.

Are you intending to use some other form of loading fixture?

I have worked on several projects with the automation demoulding the part and loading inserts, but i've never required heated inserts, is this due to cracking problems or part deformation?

Regards,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back