Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heatsink problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaustSteven

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2003
HK
Hello guys,
I have a problem on heatsink.
There are 2 given: fin and column heatsinks.
What are the advantages of the column over the fin one?
I can just think of the disadvatage--smaller surface area.

Thank guys.;)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general I've preferred finned sinks over pin (column) sinks, but either style will work if it's properly selected for the application.

For forced air designs, the biggest factor is usually air bypass: air takes the easiest path and goes around instead of through the fins. Try to minimize bypass and maximize surface area. The optimal design depends on the fin or pin thickness and spacing, surrounding geometry, air pressure source, etc.

ko (

The pin fin (column) has only one advantage of the plate fin heat sink. Air can flow through the pin fin sink in any direction. Obviously the plate fin sink only works well when the plates are parallel to the direction of flow. So if you know the direction of air flow, use the plate fins -- they usually have more surface area for a given volume. If the air flow direction is not known, or if the air comes from many directions, then the pin fin will work better.

I did forget one other advantage of the pin fin sink: it looks more "high tech". If the appearance and the marketing of your product is more important than the thermal performance, choose the pin fin sink. If it really is for decoration only, you can buy pin fin sinks molded out of plastic! No kidding.

You guys are way off the mark!
pin fin heat sinks:
-Work almost as well when vertically oriented as when horizontally oriented. This can't be said of plate fin heat sinks.
-Work pretty good when upside down.
-Provide more surface area for a given volume of heat sink material.
-When an optimized plate fin array and an optimized pin fin array occupy the same volume, the pin fins are superior in both natural convection and forced convection.
-Because the pin fin array provides more surface area it radiates more heat per unit area for the same temperature.

Would you like a scholarly paper with references?

Tunalover

Tunalover,

Yes, I've seen several articles favoring pin fins and I believe your points are generally correct. However, it really does depend on the application. Plate fins can perform better with directed forced air when pressure drop and/or air bypass is a concern. And they typically cost less.

ko (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back