Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heavy Fuel Oil Delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimawi

Chemical
Jul 27, 2008
AU
Hi All,

We are operating a "small" burner (~400 kW) on Heavy fuel oil #6. The oil tank is heated to 110C and the pipe delivering the fuel to the burner is electrically traced and insulated. Our problem is that we get a very unstable and pulsating flow of oil to the burner which affects the flame stability. We watched the oil flow right after the pump (into a drum) and was stable, the instability comes from the piping to the burner (about 20 m). The pipe was originally designed for a much bigger burner and hence is oversized (half Inch pipe for 35 L/h oil) but not sure if that can cause all this instability, seems like some gas or air comes out with the oil and causes this pulsation on the burner end. Would a smaller pipe help solving the problem? The pump suction is right at the bottom of the tank, I can't see how any air can get into the system.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TBP,
The oil was atomised with a twin-fluid atomiser and we suspected at some stage that the atomising nozzle is the problem. Well, we disconnected the nozzle and throttled the flow with a valve and the flow was still pulsating.

Most of the applications like yours that I've worked with, have used gear pumps. I can't actually recall ever seeing a screw pump in bunker oil service. Is your problem the pump?

Is there anywhere where the oil supply piping is next to or touching very hot parts of the device that has the burner? With a velocity that low, it would have plenty of opportunity to heat further.

Also, why are you heating to 110C? Would a lesser temperature get your oil to the burner?

What is does your #6 consist of? Is it true #6 or is it some nasty heavy something or the other (think asphalt) cut with some light something or other to make it similar to #6? If it is the latter, which is fairly common in #6 these days, then what ever the lighter component is might be off-gassing before or in the burner tube.

rmw

Sorry Gentlemen,

Nitrogen used for purging was leaking into the oil line via a faulty ball valve, problem solved.

Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks for that Kimawi, I for one can add that to the list of things to look out for that I didn't know before and all too frequently we never hear the outcome of some of the problems posted so it is satisfying to know that a problem has been solved (however it was solved).

JMW

I agree that this problem sounds like it is not associated with the piping size or configuration.

Just to be sure, a "pulsation dampener" could be installed on the pump suction. It may help....

If you decide that this is worth a try (modest expense) I would be sure to confirm with a vendor that component materials are acceptable (No. 6 is slightly corrosive to elastomers)

Good luck.......let us know of your final solution...

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back