Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heavy Fuel Oil Quality and Quantity Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaselli

Marine/Ocean
Jul 14, 2012
IT
Good morning to everybody,

I'm looking for a Heavy Fuel Oil quantity and quality real-time monitoring system to be applied on big cruise vessels.
Could somebody help me to find a reliable solution for this matter?

Thank you in advance for kind cooperation.

Diego

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need a real-time laboratory. Depending on how you define quality, you need to do various types of measurements. Biggest challenges lie in added chemicals / unwanted substances, that you will only find if you know what you need to look for. Of course it will be possible to measure viscosity or density on- or in-line. To do a complete ISO 8217 analysis will be very difficult, and a complete spectrum analysis is not a real-time monitoring instrument.
Quantity can be measured with flowmeters at bunkering or for consumption. Tank radar /level gauges or more conventional measurements can be used for monitoring of bunkers.

What parameters do you want to know and where?

Goodmornig, and thank you for the answer.
What I need is a system to be used during bunkering operations, that allows my company to be sure that the delivered quantity is the same of the requested quantity. We already have flowmeters and tank gauging systems, but this is not enough to be sure about the bunkered mass, as soon as the bunkering operation ends.
Thank you for cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back