Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heavy Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVACMech

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2016
US
I have a very interesting wall construction I am dealing with, and wanted to see if the group agrees with my assessment. I have a wall construction that is 3/8" steel on the outside, with 6x6x1/4" tubes every 24" on center with a 14 ga liner on the inside, in-between each column is R-13 insulation. At each one of those tubes I can't see any reason that during the winter the inside wall condition wouldn't be the same as the outside air, and during the summer the outside wall would be the same as the inside condition. This issue, given the coastal climate these buildings would be in, would cause condensation on the inside during the winter, and condensation on the outside in the summer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One potential issue I see is energy code compliance. Where I work if you heat or cool a building, it must meet code. In my location, the walls need to have R-13 between the studs AND R-10 continuous insulation on the wall.

Of course this may differ based on your location, but I thought I would bring it up.

Alternatively, why don't you put the batteries or other temperature sensitive components is a separate, small insulated room? That way you would not have to worry about air conditioning your blast proof switch gear building? That might eliminate the possibility of exterior condensation during the summer.

You don't have to follow energy code if the building is a process, and given the site, the AHJ is the owner so they get to allow whatever they want.

We wanted to separate them out, but there is not space on the site to grow the building, or add new buildings. It is very tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back