Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEC-1 Graphical Interface Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob3306

Civil/Environmental
Feb 28, 2008
US
It appears that I am going to need to use HEC-1 for a drainage study in a certain jurisdiction. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good (and cheap) graphical Interface for it? I'm to lazy to fight with the old dos program.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never seen one. The USACE now uses HEC-HMS for hydrology instead of HEC-1. You can import the files into HMS and it has its own graphical interface. That is what I would recommend for free.

Normally I would use HEC-HMS, but I needed HEC-1 on this one. There are some functions in HEC-1 that aren't supported in HEC-HMS which the flood control district here uses. They also have a lot of custom software built around HEC-1 that my model needs to work with.

I did find a Graphical Editor "Graphcial HEC1" from Bentley, but it doesn't work very well - wouldn't import certain cards. I ended up buying RMSHEC2000 which is working out pretty well, but not quite as "Graphical" as I was hopping.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

There's a list of them on page 52 of the HEC-HMS V3.0 Users Manual. The ones that are making me go back to HEC-1 are the JD (Depth Area Storm) and UA (Specify Time Area Curve on a Clark or Snyder Unit Hydrograph) functions; these are called cards in HEC-1.

The flood control district I'm working with dictates the model and methods to use for certain drainage studies. So, I have no choice but to use HEC-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back