HEC-HMS #%$@*&^%$# 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPAJR

Civil/Environmental
Jul 8, 2006
US
Two problems with HEC-HMS 3.3

1. I change the units to US Customary and they just keep changing back to metric. Any way to stop this?

I just loaded HEC-HMS 3.4. Apparently the manual did not get upgraded to the latest perversion. Items that were in the menu sytem in HEC-HMS 3.3 such as how to change unit systems are still described as if they were still in the same location but they are somewhere else now.

2. In 3.3 the colors and linetypes for background maps change randomly everytime the file is opened.

In HEC-HMS 3.3 the line styles (eg dashed) display just fine. In 3.4 you can only see the pattern if you zoom in very very close.

I was about to conclude that the government had never done anything right since throwing the Brits out but then I remembered that the troops were barefoot and starving at Valley Forge.

Thanks,
dpa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Never heard of this error.
Tools/Program setting/defaults to SA and it keep changing to SI?

2. Yeah that's an issue. I hate it when the stream that i have set in blue changes automatically to pink.

Thanks SMIAH,

I have not had this problem previously but it drove me crazy for a couple of hours yesterday. I eliminated everything from the model except the subbasins and started over, new reaches, culverts etc.

Now it is mostly in English units except for the reaches. In the optional tab flow is in CFS for Reach 1 and M3/S for all the others. Since there is no reference flow I guess it will be OK.

The problme may be that I forgot to change to US Customary units before starting the model. Even though the instructions say you can change later it doesn't seem to work very well.

dpajr

Maybe you can open the .basin (text) file and force the units to metric in it.

Example:

Basin: Basin
Last Modified Date: 17 February 2009
Last Modified Time: 16:05:56
Version: 3.4
Unit System: Metric
Missing Flow To Zero: No
Enable Flow Ratio: No
Allow Blending: No
Compute Local Flow At Junctions: No

Never tried it!

Hi SMIAH,

Just a quick update. It worked like a champ. You really saved my bacon. Hope I can help you out sometime.

Thanks,
dpajr

For the benfit of anyone else who comes across this post I forgot to add: Windows will tell you it cannot open this file but just select the button for pick the software to open from a list and either MS Word or Notebook will open it. WordPerfect probably will too.

Thanks again,
dpajr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back