Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helical Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

mncad

Industrial
Dec 27, 2002
Anyone know of a way to do a helical array? I have an assembly with 6 parts that are spaced a 1/2" apart in the X direction. The parts are also spaced @ 20 degrees about the centerline of a 2-3/8" diameter. I'm now modeling a body around the parts and need to make a pocket for each part. I have made a pocket for the first one and would like to do a circular pattern of the pocket but I need to apply another direction to it. Is this possible?

Thanks,
mncad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've tried that but I don't have a curve to drive the pattern along. The parts are rectangle shapes, the body that will hold them is round.

mncad

The pockets will be in the cylinder. This is an indexable cutting tool that will be used on a machining center to cut steel.

mncad

I may have modeled something very similar to this recently. My model required a spiral staircase inside a cylinder. First attempt was to use a helix for a curve driven pattern of an extruded feature: did not work. Then tried converting the helix to a 3D sketch and use the 3D sketch to drive the pattern: did not work. Then tried insert-Features-Move/Copy with copy selected. Could only translate or rotate but not simultaneously. Finally used a series of translate then rotate, then combine of bodies. By combining two bodies into one and using that as the seed for the next translate and then rotate the pattern grows similar to a binary expansion.

How about using a sketch on the first instance on a plane normal to the axis. Then make planes at the pitch increment. Make derived sketches and rotate them by using and angle dim. in sucessive sketches. I don't know what shape your pocket is, but maybe the sketches could then directly create these features? Its simplistic, but I like the KISS principle.

If it is something you do a lot of maybe you might think about doing some API coding and making a custom tool? Of course, if you are not able to do that for yourself you would have to find a progamming service - which would depend on how DEEP your pocket is...... sorry, could't resist that one :)

Here's another avenue to investigate. Is there any way to use user defined coordinate systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back