Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Helicoil use

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman01

Aerospace
Aug 2, 2011
I am designing a console to be use in an airplane. The frame of the console is being built using 6061 T6 1"x1" square tube with a .125 thick wall. I have to attach closeout panels and was going to use helicoil inserts. Is there another insert that is common to use or should I stick with the helicoil?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

without knowing anything at all about what you are trying to do. Can you glue (bond if you don't like the word glue) them together, or glue piece on that allow for much better threaded connection?

But you can glue pieces to one or the other that allow a proper bolting is what I'm getting at. Glue bracket to the tubing and thru bolt the plate as an example.
And since you don't know the configuration any more than I do Its really hard to comment on the idea. I'm more trying to push past the problem and make sure the question is the right one.

i think heli-coils in 1/8" thk wall won't work well.

you Could use an anchor nut strip. it might be a real Fuss to get single a/nuts into a 1" sq tube, but i'm sure you could ... you might start by telling the mechanics that they can't do it !

A suggestion ... now (having designed the structure as tube) isn't the time to ask "how are we going to do ...?". it's a design detail that should've been understood at the time of the tube decision. yes, tube looks nice, but a channel would have given you access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back