Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Helicoils

Status
Not open for further replies.

op9

Industrial
Aug 18, 1999
AU
If I require to insert a helicoil in a bore deeper than the individual insert, can the inserts be inserted consecutively to the full depth?
Thanks in advance,
Rod

Rod Nissen.
Combustion & Engineering Diagnostics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Rod,

The helicoils that I'm familiar with have a small leg (tang) in the center of them so that the insertion tool has something to grab onto when the helicoil is inserted into a hole.

I'm not sure that even after you break the tang off the bottom of the second helicoil if the threads will line up from one helicoil insert to the next.

As the fastnener is screwed through the top helicoil, and it begins to enter the lower helicoil the threads of the bottom helicoil may not be in axial alignment with the top and the fastener will effectively bottom out.

I have attached a link to a brochure that has pictures of various helicoils.

It's quite possible that there is something else out there that would do as you describe, that's the extent of my experience with helicoils...

Hope this helps.

Kyle

op9, since the single helicoil presumably develops the full strength of your fastener why can't you just insert the helicoil in a bore deeper than the individual insert?

Regards,

Mike

The threaded hole is radial through a thick section of an aluminium hub which in turn is bushed with a steel insert. Together they form the drive for a fan impeller. There are three such holes fitted with grub screws. I would like the grub screws which are long to have more hold on the aluminium and hence more thread.
Thanks,
Rod.

Rod Nissen.
Combustion & Engineering Diagnostics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back